Entebbe International Airport
Entebbe International Airport is the only international airport in Uganda that acts as the main gateway point to and from other countries.
Uganda is a unique and popular destination located in East Africa, due to its location and favorable weather, it is a great destination for holidays where visitors visit different national parks with beautiful tourism attractions like Mountain Gorillas, chimpanzees, lions among others, view Landscapes, visit the Source of the Nile among others. Entebbe International Airport is the major gateway to Kampala capital city and the only international airport in Uganda.
Entebbe International airport is located in Entebbe close to the shores of Lake Victoria which is Africa’s largest fresh water lake, it takes about 10 minutes’ drive from Entebbe town and about 40 kilometers from Kampala city to Entebbe airport. Entebbe International airport has two terminals that handle Domestic and International flights. Entebbe airport operates services for a number of international airlines such as Fly Dubai, KLM, South African Airways, Egypt Air, Air Tanzania, Ethiopian Airlines, Etihad Airways, Air Emirates, Qatar Airways, Brussels Airlines, Air Kenya among others and also a variety of cargo Airlines.
Entebbe Airport is a hub for the Uganda Airline which resumed operation this August after about eighteen years. Uganda Airline operates direct scheduled flights around East Africa and other destinations such as Nairobi, Dar Es Salaam, Mogadishu, Mombasa, Bujumbura, Kilimanjaro, Juba among others.
Entebbe Airport was officially inaugurated in 1951. The airport is under construction which started in 2015 and is going to be carried out in three phases for the expansion of the existing cargo, strengthening of the existing runways and the expansion of the new passenger terminal building from the current 410 arriving and 320 departing passengers to 930 arriving and 820 departing passenger during the peak seasons.
Requirements needed at Entebbe International Airport
Before traveling to Uganda or any other destination, you should have the necessary documents which will help you to access the country. After landing at Entebbe International Airport you will be asked to present documents such as
- passport, the passport should be valid and expire at least in six months
- visa, this is the document that will allow you to access Uganda and the Uganda VISA should have been acquired either online or on arrival at the immigration office at Entebbe International airport which sometimes takes time in case there are many passengers.
- Yellow fever vaccination card, this card should be acquired before travelling to Uganda, it proves that your health is in order and in case a visitor doesn’t have the yellow fever card, he or she will be vaccinated on arrival at the airport.
- Reason for the visit, after landing at Entebbe airport, visitors have to present an itinerary from the tour company in case you are traveling for tourism, in case you are travelling for business you will present a business invitation card.
- Proof of funds, visitors at Entebbe airport present bank statements, cash or credit cards as proof that you have enough money to spend while in Uganda.
- Return ticket, your air ticket shows whether you are planning to visit Uganda for a short while or planning to stay in Uganda permanently. If you are planning to stay in Uganda permanently, you will explain your reasons.
On arrival at Entebbe Airport, you will leave the aircraft and walk to the arrival terminal where you will present your yellow fever certificate and later move to the immigration to present your visa and passport which will be stamped. You will then go to collect your luggage from the conveyor belts, pass the luggage through the security machine and then move out of the building to meet with your driver or guide at the meeting point.
Entebbe Airport offers various services and facilities to passengers traveling to Uganda and they include
- Airline lounge, this is a privately managed departure lounge where visitor in economy group seat during waiting hours for their departure flights. The airline Karibuni lounge offers services like internet, drinks, snacks and a flat-screen TV at an affordable fee.
- The VIP lounge, this is a government facility at Entebbe Airport for the diplomats and government officials.
- Baggage facility, visitor’s baggage is identified according to their names, address and can also be wrapped at a cost and in case of misconnection and lost baggage, the visitors to the ground handling office at the arrival hall.
- Baby changing facility, these are washroom facilities at Karibuni lounge and along the departure transit concourse.
- Facilities for passengers with special needs, Entebbe International Airport offers facilities for passengers with special needs in form of lifts, wheelchairs, ramps, special walkways, and also passenger handling staff will assist the elderly passengers and the disabled.
- Meeting passenger facility, this is located on the ground floor outside the arrival hall at Entebbe airport. The meeting passenger is a facility where the drivers, guides among others wait for their passengers and transfer to the destinations they came to visit. Outside the arrival hall, there are other facilities like customer care desk, restaurants, telephone, and postal services among others.
Domestic Airlines at Entebbe Airport
Entebbe Airport is a hub for Domestic Airlines which operate domestic flights to various Uganda destinations and national parks. The Airlines include Aero link and Eagle air:
Aero link Airline, this is an Airline based in Kampala Uganda and operates scheduled and chartered flights from Entebbe International Airport or Kajjansi Airfield to Kasese Airstrip, Mweya Airstrip, Ishasha Airstrip, Kisoro Airstrip, Kihihi Airstrip, Lamoj Airstrip, Pakuba Airstrip, and Chobe Airstrip. This Airstrip acts as connecting areas to the national parks such as Queen Elizabeth National Park which is the second largest park, Murchison falls national park which is the largest national park in Uganda, Bwindi, and Mgahinga national parks famously known for Gorilla trekking, Kidepo valley national park, Semuliki National Park among others.
Eagle air Airline, Eagle Air is an Airline based in Uganda that operates regional scheduled and private chartered flights to passengers. Eagle air offers quick and reliable flights from Entebbe airport to various destinations in Uganda such as Arua Airport, Adjumani Airport, Kitgum Airport, Gulu Airport, Moyo Airport, Soroti Airport, Jinja Airport, Kidepo Airstrip, Chobe Airstrip, Pakuba Airstrip, Kihihi Airstrip, Kasese Airstrip, Mweya Airstrip, Kisoro Airstrip among others.
Attractions and Activities in Entebbe
Ngamba Island, Ngamba Island is a chimpanzee sanctuary that is located on Lake Victoria in Entebbe and is a home of 49 orphaned chimpanzees. Ngamba sanctuary is a popular destination for chimpanzees where visitors on a tour get an opportunity to interact with the chimpanzees, view their feeding habits, get entertainment from the juveniles playing which provides great experiences.
Uganda Reptile’s Village, the reptile village is also located in Entebbe and was established mainly to educate people on how to conserve the reptiles and also overcome the fear of reptile animals. Uganda reptile village is a home of over 20 species of reptiles and about 50 reptiles which include Leopard Tortoise, Jackson’s Chameleon, Monitor Lizards, Forest Cobra, Gaboon Viper, Crocodile, Pythons, Mambas, Puff Adders, among others.
Entebbe Botanical Gardens, the Botanical Gardens are located on the northern shores of Lake Victoria and the distance takes about five minutes’ drive from Entebbe International Airport. The Botanical Gardens harbor different bird species like African grey parrot, Whilst bat hawk, Palm-nut vulture, primates like Vervet monkeys, Black and White colobus monkeys, Squirrels, different plant species like tropical, sub-tropical and temperate plants, medicinal plants, indigenous and exotic plant species, shrubs among others.
Mabamba Swamp, Mabamba swamp is located in Entebbe and harbors different bird species like the rare shoebill stork and other water animals such as White Winged black Terns, White Winged Warbler, Brown Throated Weaver, Goliath Heron, Papyrus Gonolek, Papyrus Canary, Blue swallow among other. Mabamba swamp is a great destination for bird watching in Uganda.
Sportfishing on Lake Victoria, sport fishing on Lake Victoria is done on Ssese Island which is known as the best spot for fishing, visitors on a tour on Lake Victoria can engage in sport fishing where they will catch different fish types such as Tilapia and Nile perch which are the major fish types caught.
Uganda Wildlife Education Center, which is also known as a Zoo is located in Entebbe and it takes about 10 minutes to drive from Entebbe International Airport. Uganda Wildlife Education Center is comprised of savannah vegetation, forest, wetland and a number of animals such as Rhinos, Giraffes, Lions, Chimpanzees, visitors who visit the Zoo will learn more about animals in a zoo and also engage in activities like feeding the animals and so on to make their tour interesting.
Boat cruise on Lake Victoria, Lake Victoria is the largest fresh water lake in Africa. Visitors on a tour at Lake Victoria will get an opportunity to enjoy the boat cruise on the water where they will have beautiful views of different bird species, Landscapes, Islands on Lake Victoria, Sunset in case you cruise during evening hours like at around 4 or 5 pm which give you the best water experience.
Visit the beaches, Entebbe has a wide range of beaches where you can go to relax and enjoy the sunset, islands on lake victoria, play volleyball, swim in the water, enjoy lunch or dinner, music at night among others hence making your day memorable.
Do you want to visit Uganda for Gorilla Trekking, Chimpanzee Trekking, Lion tracking or Hiking, fly to Entebbe International Airport and get an opportunity to explore Uganda’s National Parks with Achieve Global Safaris.